Sunday, August 07, 2005

From the Hellenic party island (Ios) to Overrated Santorini....

Ios was a fun, and small party island which is famous for it's late nights, young visitors and Homer's tomb. After renting a scooter for the day, Dennis and I attempted to visit Homer's tomb. After about 30 minutes of riding up a very rocky hill we were warned by the local tourists (in a car) not to go any further since we had not reached the worst part of the trek. Hence D and I headed back to main beach and spent the remainder of the day on a beautiful sandy beach (pictures to come soon).

The island I was most looking forward to visiting (Santorini) proved to be the most disappointing. The island itself is very beautiful and unique (and as such is the most visited Cycladic island in Greece) but unfortunately our experience was very disappointing. Everything from the broken scooter we were given ( I had the wonderful opportunity to run up a hill since our scooter could not carry both Dennis and I :)), to the hotel owners trying to take advantage of us (it costs 80 Euros on the phone but miraculously it costs 90 when you're there :)), to a severely overpopulated downtown core (a mini Athens at peak hour). Luckily for Dennis and I we were able to find a beautiful vacant apartment in the nicest area of Santorini (Oia), and we were able to enjoy what is said to be one of the most beautiful sunsets of the Cycladic islands.

Next stop is the reason we came to Greece in the first place - Kefalonia (D's island).

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Nice. Sounds like Europe. I am probably heading down to Greece sometime next year. I wanted to spend Christmas down there but I might have to come home.